Saturday, February 14, 2009

Annette' Thoughts on Books

First...a book: Out of Jennie's list (that are at Rebecca's library) I'd prefer Pilate's Wife. Out of Rebecca's list...maybe Out Stealing Horses (although it sounds a little darker than I'm in the mood for in the middle of winter). (I'd prefer Pilates' to Horses) I also have a suggestion of a book that should be at a library (or really cheap through Amazon marketplace) but maybe you've already read it: Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (I accidentally read the 2nd in the series...want to go back and read the 1st volume).

Second...book getting: Perhaps we should plan 3 months ahead for books to allow everyone to get in line for books at the library? (are you all on the list for the the Woman in Berlin book?) As Jennie knows I buy my books through Amazon (new or used) and then keep them for my library or pass them on...so I hadn't really been thinking about how hard it would be to get popular new books at libraries. I should have. In addition to planning ahead we could do something like only pick books that are in paperback or are at least a year old...should increase the chance of getting them cheap used or at the library. Any other ideas?

Third...buying books cheap. Online, I'd suggest amazon (click on "used" books) or powells book. We buy a lot of our books "lightly used" from dealers with good ratings. I just checked amazon...here are some examples (only from dealers with a "rating" greater than 97% positivie:

Pilate's Wife: $4.75 (.75 for the book, 3.99 for shipping)
Out Stealing Horses: 10.87 (6.87 for book, 3.99 for shipping)
Outlander: 6.89 (2.89 for the book and 3.99 for shipping)

USed book stores: most used book stores now have their inventory catalog on computer. So you could also look for used bookstores in your town and call them when looking for a book to see if they have it (might be cheaper without shipping).

No comments: