Thursday, September 24, 2009

Jennie's Answers

1. Are there any books that you read over and over again? If so (and I'm sure there are), name them.
Anne of Green Gables series, Pride and Prejudice, Mr. Darcy Takes a Wife, Persuasion and Suck In Your Stomach and Put Some Color On

2. Name 3 or 4 fictional characters you'd like to be and why.

Elizabeth Bennet - you knew I was going to list this one - the why should be obvious, but here are my reasons - she's smart, funny, pretty enough, witty and she gets Mr. Darcy in the end.

Antonia from My Antonia - because in the end, she is happy and she's discovered her happiness lies with her family. At least, that's what I remember getting out of that book.

Sunya from Pastries: A Novel - because she has the life I want - well, the bakery anyway.

3. Name a book that has had you thinking (and even talking) about it for a long, long while afterward.

The Island, Triumph of Hope and A Breath of Fresh Air are three that still cross my mind.

4. Name one "classic" book that you are afraid to admit you don't like. We're all friends here - be honest.

Jane Eyre. Liked it okay, but Jane was just too good to be true for me. Nice story, but not one I'll read again. I know, I've just offended the English-speaking world. Hey, I love Jane Austen. Isn't that enough?

5. Have you ever wanted to write your own book? You don't have to be specific if you don't want, but you can.
Yes. I've actually thought about just writing it as a screenplay these days because that's how I see it in my head, like it's a movie. A cute little fluff take on Cyrano de Bergerac - with roles reversed, so it's the girl trying to get the guy. With food. It would be fun, I think. I don't know. I've thought about taking an online screenwriting class and really trying. But then I'm afraid to. Silly.
And a food memoir. I'd like to travel to the South and explore my culinary heritage. Write a fictional book on that. Or just a cookbook.

1 comment:

Anne Bennion said...

I haven't attempted reading jane Eyre yet but I loved the movie.