Thursday, May 7, 2009

The Pirate Coast and May books--Rebecca

I'm feeling embarrassed to admit that I didn't actually finish reading The Pirate Coast. What happened?! I was so intrigued with it at the beginning--I read the first 1/4 of the book in one evening. But then, it just never grabbed me again. I tried to continue a few times and ended up skimming through. I'm not sure why? While the detail was interesting, sometimes the book got bogged down in too much detail. I didn't understand some of the political maneuvers and there wasn't much warmth in it--not much personality. I'd opt for a condensed version of this historical event. 

For May's reading, I'm going to leave it for either of the two books I mentioned so that everyone can read the one that is available to them. (ie. Anne can get TSC, but still not O). I think it will actually make for interesting reviews--both books are similar in that they are non-fiction, they are made up of a variety of individual stories and accounts that should contain appeal to many different interests.  Also because of this nature, there are no "spoilers" to give away in a review. If you're feeling ambitious, read both! Happy reading!

Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell
The Survivors Club by Ben Sherwood

p.s. I'll try to post questions for each as soon as I can so you can write your reviews as you read, or when you've finished and it's still fresh in your mind (I do much better in my reviews when I don't wait so long to post!)

2 comments:

Anne Bennion said...

Thanks for being flexible on May's book for me! I really appreciate it!

Annette B said...

Did we skip over April's book? Outlander? I'm still reading it...but I haven't seen the discussion yet. are we jumping over it to May?