Monday, October 5, 2009

The Scarlett Letter questions

I'm posting some questions to discuss The Scarlett Letter. I think I might be the only adult on the planet who went to high school and college and still hadn't read this book. I'm not quite finished due to some crazy days in my household but am looking forward to hearing your opinions about the book. Obviously, there are tons of questions for this book. I had a hard time choosing questions because I didn't want our discussion to remind anyone of a high school essay. These questions are just to get you started. You don't have to answer them if you feel like discussing other parts of the book.

1. What is the significance of the 3 scaffold scenes in the book?

2. What punishments would the Puritan women have given Hester Prynne if it were left to them?

3. Did Hester ever love her husband?

4. Why is Chillingsworth a symbol of evil?

5. How would you have acted if you were a woman in the crowd on the day Hester leaves the prison with the Scarlett Letter?

No comments: