Thursday, January 8, 2009

Sugar Beach comment

I'm about 1/3  into this book (so no spoilers or anything here) and this observation keeps coming up so I wanted to post it now prior to our discussion. Hope this is ok! 

So this is pretty minor, but is anyone else having a tough time reconciling that Helene and her family are the wealthy, upper class, almost royalty in their country DUE TO THE WAY THEY TALK? Is it because we Americans are so conditioned to associating wealth and privilege with a proper use of the English language? 

This is not meant to be critical of the family in any way. It's just hard to wrap my head around this! In fact, I think this makes it fascinating because it pushes me beyond what I know. Happy reading!

1 comment:

Jennie @ Porch Swing Quilts said...

I'm not as far into it as you are, but yes, the language they use is not what we would associate "royalty" with here in America. It's tough to get through at times, trying to figure out what they are saying.