Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Mansfield Park - Jennie

I have a confession. I really struggled with this book. I could not get into it. It is not like Jane Austen's other books that really draw you in right away. This book was a little slower and a bit more tedious. Edmund drove me a bit crazy - he was a little dense, falling in love with Miss Crawford. The sisters were horrible to Fanny, as were the aunts. And Fanny was too much of a doormat - I guess this is why I really love Elizabeth Bennett and Emma Woodhouse - they were in a better social position and could therefore stand up for themselves a bit better. I prefer a fiestier heroine.
So my review is a bit lame. I'm sorry, I truly am! I'll work harder on the next one. Speaking of which . . . . Annette, would you like to choose?

1 comment:

Annette B said...

I agree...Fanny was too much of a doormat...I hadn't thought of it that way. I actually liked the movie version of Mansfield Park better...somehow they perked up Fanny a bit and Edmund was not quite so dense. If any of you haven't seen one of the versions...I'd suggested renting them...there is a 1999 version and a 2007 version.