Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Potato Peel Society

I agree with Rebecca, I really liked this book. Here are some of my thoughts:
1. What was it like to read a novel composed entirely of letters? What do letters offer that no other form of writing (not even emails) can convey?

At the start of the book, I was a bit confused as to who each character was and how they were connected to each other. Once I figured that out, I loved the letter format. I felt like I knew about each character's inside jokes and quirks that really only appear in writing! Letters are so personal, in my opinion, even more so than emails because the person physically touched the paper, pencil, etc. I loved letters from my grandparents when I was little because I felt a small connection with them every time I held their letters.

2. What makes Sidney and Sophie ideal friends for Juliet? What common ground do they share? Who has been a similar advocate in your life?

I loved Sidney and Sophie and wished that they were my friends. They considered Juliet a part of their family, treated her with love, and were not afraid to tell her the honest truth if needed. I felt like they were such good friends because they spent so much of those awkward teenage years together. Those bonds are so often the tightest because friendships are formed without bias.

4. What was your first impression of Dawsey? How is he different from the other men Juliet had known?

I loved Dawsey. I hoped from the very first time we met him in the story that he would end up with Juliet. I loved his calm demeanor, his love of books, and how loyal he was to his friends. I think that he is different from the other men in Juliet's life because he wasn't pushy about his relationship with Juliet and became friends first, not lovers.

7. In what ways were Juliet and Elizabeth kindred spirits? What did Elizabeth's spontaneous invention of the society, as well as her brave final act, say about her approach to life?

Juliet and Elizabeth marched to a different drum. They weren't worried to say what they felt, even if they knew it would end badly. They were passionate about their friends. Most importantly, they disregarded the boundaries that most people believed in. (falling in love with a German, finding a way to help a starving worker, breaking off a seemingly perfect engagement, etc.) I loved the way Elizabeth went about her life and wished that we knew more about her. She was compassionate and resourceful. I wish I was more like her.

8. Numerous Guernsey residents give Juliet access to their private memories of the occupation. Which voices were most memorable for you?What was the effect of reading a variety of responses to a shared tragedy?

I don't know if I could say I had a favorite voice in regards to the memories of the occupation. Each person had such vivid details about their experiences. I was moved by their endurance and was thrilled that they found a love of books together to help them through.

14. Which of the members of the Society is your favorite? Whose literary opinions are most like your own?

I loved quirky Isola. She made me laugh so many times. I loved how she wanted to know more about people and was completely unconventional in how she obtained that information. I loved here literary opinions as well- Pride and Prejudice is one of my all time favorites! I was bothered a little that Isola was the one who told the ending of the book. Rebecca asked that question in her post. I really wish that I could have seen the discovery of Juliet and Dawsey's affection in a letter that maybe Juliet wrote to Sophie, or better yet, a letter that Juliet wrote to Dawsey!

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

(quest 2) I've been pondering your thought about forming friendships during those awkward teenage years--with less bias and more honesty. It's quite intriguing as I've tried to see if that's true in my own life. There is definitely that "tried and true" feeling with old friends. I wonder if other close friendships (formed AFTER the teen years) become like this over many, many years? It's given me a lot to think about!

(quest 7) I wish we had learned more about Elizabeth too. Even though as I got further into the book I was pretty sure she wouldn't return, I still kept hoping for that miracle--that somehow she had outlasted all her trials! I was pretty amazed by her-- even a little intimidated when I compared myself to her. I don't think I am so brave. Why do you think she was this way? I wonder if it's because she wasn't born wealthy or privileged--she made her own identity and didn't have to be what anyone else expected her to be.